Turns are an integral part of swimming in any style. An excellently applied technique of turning in the opposite direction will help maintain a high swim speed, rhythm, psychological confidence of the athlete, even increase the speed of the swim. There are many subtleties of this process: in the crawl on the back and chest, you need to touch the wall; in the breaststroke and butterfly stroke, you need to touch the board with both limbs at once. Let’s take a closer look at the features of different techniques so that a positive result does not take long.
Empirically tested that in different types of swimming it is convenient to perform for maximum various turning techniques:
- Simple private.
- A simple open turn.
The last two are classified by the way of execution. To make it clear to the reader what is the difference between them, we will give an explanation: when open – a person can inhale while turning, closed – the element is performed after inhalation, then rotation, exhalation.
Let’s find out what features and aspects are inherent in each technique.
The key difference between turning this type from others – rotation in an inclined plane. Inhale while moving. Stages:
- swimming up to the side, the swimmer touches it, for example, with his right hand;
- takes a breath, resting his right hand on the pool wall;
- lowers its head into the water, facing left. Having grouped, bends the knees. The head is between the hands. During rotation, the left hand performs a stroke underwater in a circle to the right;
- pushes powerfully from the wall;
- at a depth of about 0.5 m, a slip occurs;
- then the swimmer you need to be on the surface and start paddling. For this, energetic high-speed movements are used with both hands and feet.
Crawl flip on chest
This is a forward roll with a 45 degree side turn.
- approaching the pool wall. Should proceed without losing speed when cornering. Before the turn, a long stroke is performed without inhaling;
- rotation. The arm, not occupied by the stroke, remains at the thigh, the legs are pulled up to the body. Dolphin-like movements help to position the legs up for flips;
- push. The feet are already on the pool wall, the push off is very vigorous;
- glide. Legs and arms straight, head between arms, you need to wait until the speed reaches the level of competition. Then kicks are performed, and with 1 stroke the swimmer is already on the surface of the water.
Backflip in crawl
The peculiarity is the preparation until the action at a distance of two strokes to the support of the legs. Stages:
- the initial stroke is performed while lying on the back with help the left hand. Then rotation is done. Immediately, the right arms and 2 strokes with the right hand to pull the body up to the wall;
- now is the time for the somersault itself. Legs bent in knee and hip joint with the feet on the wall. Hands are joined over head;
- push. The legs are straightened at this point. Motion directed downward so that the body glides as much as possible. Dolphin-like movement;
- exit to the surface. The work of the lower limbs starts, when the speed becomes average for the competition. As soon as the swimmer appears above the water, makes a powerful stroke.
Simple closed turn
- with the last swing before touching the board, inhale, direct face into the pool and touch the pool with the palm of your hand;
- the legs are immediately grouped with the body. Other the hand makes a rotation without touching the wall. This helps to complete the turn on speed;
- when the feet are on the wall, a powerful push. Hands are folded in front of you, the head between them looks to the bottom;
- when the average speed is reached, the athlete swims up to the surface and begins motor activity with the limbs.
Simple open turn
This turn is similar to a closed one. One difference – the head does not dive into the water, it is above the water, which allows inhale the air. Stages:
- swimming to the side, the swimmer extends his left arm, to touch the wall, and bends the right one to support the wall. Then he pulls out the left one on the side. When bending the legs, exhales;
- the left hand is rowing, and it is sent to opposite side of rotation. Grouping begins with bent legs at the knees;
- there is a turn to the left by 90 degrees, inhale, head must be turned to the right. The swimmer puts his feet on the wall in horizontally with the body with continued rotation;
- the swimmer holds his head with his forearms when outstretched left hand and brought up to it with the right, the face looks down. Is done energetic push;
- at a depth of 0.5 m, the body slides with sufficient speed at an angle. Exit to the surface is carried out with the help of fast well-coordinated movements of arms and legs.
All turns need precise calculation, well-coordinated rhythm of swings and rotations, a lot of productive workouts. You must carefully adhere to the strict technique of turns with each lesson, swimming, and then the result will be brilliant!