Training in the pool with the right accessories becomes more comfortable, efficient and quality. What must be in a swimmer’s gym bag?
Kolobashka is an accessory that helps to completely turn off the legs and work out the muscles of the arms. It is clamped between the legs in the hips.
The kolobashka is made of a non-sinking material – mainly foam. This allows the accessory to float on the water.
How useful is a kolobashka
The accessory helps to practice different techniques and develop swimming skills:
- correct stroke (the swimmer’s legs are disabled when swimming with a buckle, he is completely focused on his hands and notices all the shortcomings. first phase of the stroke);
- balancing (it is much more difficult to stay on the water without using your legs. Training with a buckle allows you to develop the skill of balancing with your hands);
- body rotation (by focusing on the arms, the swimmer has a better sense of his movements and controls the technique);
- strengthening the muscles of the back and shoulders (greater stress on the upper body by disabling the muscles of the legs).
Boards for swimming are made of foam, plastic, polyethylene or ethylene vinyl acetate. These materials are lightweight and durable.
Pay attention! Boards that have been treated with a moisture-repellent agent last longer. Chips and faults appear on them less often.
Which pool board should you choose?
There are different types of swim boards on the market. They differ in size, weight and purpose:
- universal (suitable for practicing techniques of different exercises and can be used as a buckle);
- for improving leg technique (rectangular or wedge-shaped boards that allow you to regulate the load on the body).
Manufacturers create recesses on the surface of the board that allow you to hold onto it with great comfort.
An average board has a length of 40 to 25 cm.
The accessory helps to develop the correct range of motion with your arms while swimming.
How to choose pool paddles?
You can choose the right accessory based on the following criteria:
- the goal (practicing technique, increasing the load, improving the balancing skill, etc.);
- form and purpose;
- size (S, M, L);
- way of fastening (harness, belt, hole in the surface).
The shoulder blades differ in shape and purpose, the attachment of the shoulder blades is also related to the swimmer’s chosen purpose. For example, some shoulder blades have hand-shaped fasteners that prevent the swimmer from grabbing the shoulder blade incorrectly.
Which pool blades to choose?
- classic ergonomic shapes (help to create dynamics during all phases of the stroke);
- finger (develop stroke technique and range of motion);
- large (help increase stroke power and develop a sense of water);
- eights (needed to adjust stroke technique, help build muscle memory);
- without attachment (helps to improve swimming technique);
- for crawl swimming (designed to train the swimmer to extend the arms and rotate the hand in the initial phase of the stroke);
- bilateral (depending on the side they have a different effect: they isolate and make a certain muscle group work).
Earplugs protect the ear canal from water and infection.
- foamed polyurethane (most economical option. They do not protect against water ingress).
- reusable “herringbones” (allow you to insert the accessory to a comfortable depth in the ear canal, protect well from moisture);
- made of plastic silicone (flexible earplugs that can be shaped to fit your ear);
- silicone ergonomic shapes (follow the shape of the auricle. Some of the most comfortable)
- custom-made (custom earplugs fit perfectly into the ear canal. They can be ordered from a specialized store).
Pay attention! Most adult models are made to fit the male ear. There are also children’s earplugs. They are smaller than adults.
Keep earplugs in a waterproof container.
The nose clip is placed on top of the bridge of the nose and on the nostrils. This helps to block the passageways from the ingress of liquid and air. Airway clamps required.
There are various nose clip options available in stores, differing in fastening and material:
- with a wedge-shaped lock, slip on the skin;
- clothespins with sliding mechanism;
- kayaker (wire and silicone clip);
- with silicone pads (requires regular washing and thorough drying);
- with latex insulation (with the ability to adjust the fit to the face).
What material to choose from?
Lightweight and durable materials are used for the manufacture of clamps:
- latex (lightweight and durable clips with high ergonomics);
- plastic (less resistant to external damage);
- silicone (plastic material that takes the shape of the nose);
- polypropylene (an accessory made of this material is easy to put on and take off);
- nylon (strong and lightweight material).
The braking belt is used by swimmers to increase the load on the body while swimming. The accessory consists of a strong belt with a buckle, on which plastic blocks are put on. They fill with water as they move in the pool, becoming heavier. 5 of these bowls have been added to the standard belt models.
Brake Shorts are used by professional swimmers to develop endurance. They increase resistance with water, increasing the workout load. After training in such swimming trunks, the athlete gets used to making more efforts. In ordinary swimming trunks, he begins to swim faster. Wear brakes over your regular sports trunks.
How to choose shorts?
The main rule is to choose swimming trunks by size. Since the brake shorts are worn over the swimming trunks, they should be one size larger.
Drinking during training is mandatory. The athlete must have a bottle of mineral water with him. Special sports vessels are made of plastic with a sealed lid to prevent leakage. sports bottles a special neck, from which it is convenient to drink even while driving.
Antifog protects swimmer goggles from fogging. This agent prevents the formation of separate droplets on the inner surface of the lenses
How to use
- Antifog should be applied to thoroughly washed and dry glasses.
- Spread the protective gel evenly over the lens surface. The amount of the required product is indicated on the packaging by the manufacturer.
- Place glasses in a dry place to dry completely.
Pool towel is an essential accessory for the athlete. It should absorb moisture well, dry quickly and not be heavy.
What material to choose from?
There are a lot of options for towels on the market, but models made from natural fabrics are considered the best:
- terry cloth (soft material that quickly absorbs moisture);
- linen (natural and lightweight material, but not soft);
- bamboo (absorbs moisture very quickly and dries well. It is hypoallergenic);
- microfiber (soft and pleasant towels absorb moisture quickly).
Professionals choose plain towels: they keep their attractive look longer. Do not take bright options, as they can fade during washing.
Choosing the size of the towel is an important point. The larger the product, the less free space will remain in the backpack. Possible options:
- 50 * 100 (a small towel that can be used to dry your entire body and wrap your hair);
- 70 * 140 (medium towel that can be used to wrap a small person and wipe the whole body);
- 80 * 160 (classic size towel for the whole body);
- 100 * 150 (a large towel to wrap up in and warm up after cold water).
Simulators are used for training:
- dry swim;
- to practice the stroke technique;
- strength development;
- to fix the legs.
The rowing machine helps develop and strengthen all the muscles in the upper body. It has different load levels. The posture corrector simulator is used to develop the correct body position in the water. It signals the displacement of the head to the wrong position. The body turn trainer creates resistance when turning in the water. It promotes the development of muscle strength. The braking parachute increases the load while swimming.
Fins help the swimmer to achieve optimal body position and can also add speed.
Types of fins
Short fins are most often used for training in the pool. They allow the athlete to maneuver and do not interfere with the technique. The main task of short fins is to improve the swimmer’s balance.
Narrow long speed variations are needed to increase the swimmer’s speed. Such models are not very maneuverable. The monofin also allows for high speed when swimming dolphin style.
How to choose fins by size?
When choosing, you need to pay attention to the size of the fins. They should fit well on the leg. The index finger should pass freely between the heel and the back of the fin. This is a sign that the foot will not rub against the surface of the accessory.
For training in the pool, swimmers use frontal (central) breathing tubes . This option has a special shape that does not inhibit the swimmer.
What are pipes for?
Coaches recommend that swimmers use the snorkel to practice techniques with their heads lowered under the water. The tube helps you concentrate on movement, rather than the level of oxygen remaining in your lungs. It is used for training in butterfly style, breaststroke and chest crawl. For the manufacture of the mouthpiece of the tubes, soft silicone is used, which is not capable of causing damage to the mucous membrane.
Pay attention! Even while swimming with a breathing tube, the lungs work hard and develop.
Pool tubes are available in different sizes. Most often they are 40-50 cm long and 2-3 cm in diameter. Children’s breathing tubes have a slightly smaller mouthpiece.