A beautiful and quick start in the butterfly will bring the athlete closer to the coveted medal or personal record in the swim. Improving the start stages in swimming is a difficult task, therefore researchers and sports masters recommend daily training of 10-15 minutes at the beginning of the session, when the swimmer is full of strength and energy. If tournaments or competitions are scheduled not in the distant future, work on the starting technique should be done a couple of months before the event. We will look at the components of the butterfly start technique so that the goal is closer every day.
It is noticed that people with a developed powerful system power techniques at the start are impressed by the use of a circular swing of the hands, and swimmers with reverse power development indicators, in general, a start with a capture is suitable hands of the front edge of the cabinet. The latter type is called “row-start” and quickly became the most common, because pushing with hands more than balances the consumption of hand movements in comparison with the start of the “ring swing of the hands” and brings a temporary gain on average 1/10 second.
Beginning with butterfly swimming is similar to crawling on your chest before diving into water. However, before diving, athletes usually group their body positions to provide greater depth than crawl.
Let’s move on to the main phases of the butterfly start:
- starting position. First, the swimmer stands on the back of the pedestal, and at the initial signal comes closer to the front edge and “grabs” it with his toes, index and middle fingers. The feet are placed at the width of the hip joints, the angle of the knee joints, as well as between the shoulder and forearm, is about 40 degrees. The head looks down, the body is pulled forward with the tension of the leg muscles. This is recommended in order to start moving with the next signal without wasting a moment;
- pull plus push . With signal the swimmer stretches out relative to the bedside table. The center of gravity moves down and forward behind the front edge of the cabinet. The athlete starts moving, and when reaching the corner at the knees about 75 degrees, with the straightening of the legs at the knee and hip joints are powerfully pushed away from the edge. The torso comes off and the swimmer lets go of the fingers from the bedside table and in a semicircle brings the front limbs forward and down. The head repeats the general trajectory of the hands, the face looks down and forward. We’re talking fractions of a second therefore, such a turn of the head should begin before the separation of the feet from the support. Angle repulsion from the surface of the bollard and legs at 45 degrees gives the necessary for diving in water trajectory in the form of an arch;
- flight. At this stage, the swimmer moves straightened, and when the body approaches the highest point of flight, it bends into the arch. Then the legs are at the top, so that with a minimum of resistance to enter water as a whole with the body;
- entering the water. Hands, palms closed together, the head is between the hands. The body moves behind the hands, crashing into water at one point to reduce obstacles and splashes. Legs straight, feet stretched out. The body cuts the water at an angle of about 35 degrees on average. Then the swimmer performs several short kicks to swim out. Amateurs usually do 2 full drums movements before 1 stroke, experienced swimmers – more than 3. Here you need to remember speed and breathing. What is the significance of the first stroke? Get started early means placing the hands too deep at the end of the swing. After execution 1 stroke, the head should be left lowered for another 1 stroke. Then take two more full strokes and inhale for 3;
- glide. After the appearance of the body under water, it should glide smoothly while the swimming speed will not decrease to swim average. Therefore, after starting at a short distance the duration of the slide is less than after the start at medium or long;
- getting out of the water. With the butterfly technique, footwork begins a little earlier than the onset of the competitive speed. 2 dolphin-like movements or 2-4 “fluttering like a butterfly”, and 1 stroke allows you to reach the surface (a powerful initial stroke is used).
The described version of the starting jump takes calculation of human motor response time, ideal force application, angle attack, support, horizontal flight speed, angle of entry into the water, time to swimming distance. When training a start, its elements, which have high natural rate of development. You need to gradually complicate classes and learn new starting techniques, adjusting for age, breathing correctly. All this in complex will give you the opportunity to get excellent results!